Project technology

A Queensland Green Hydrogen Development Project

Queensland government-owned green utility CS Energy has signed an agreement with ASX-listed gas company Senex Energy to develop the Kogan renewable hydrogen demonstration plant, which is expected to produce 50 tonnes of hydrogen per year from photovoltaic solar energy behind the meter.

Queensland state-owned producer CS Energy and natural gas producer Senex have agreed to form a joint venture (JV) to develop the Kogan renewable hydrogen demonstration plant near Chinchilla in the Darling Downs region of Queensland.

The hydrogen plant will be built next to CS Energy’s coal-fired power plant at Kogan Creek, although its 600-700 kW hydrogen electrolyser will be powered exclusively by a co-located 2 MW solar photovoltaic farm. The project will also include a hydrogen fuel cell of up to 50 kW, a hydrogen storage and offloading facility.

A battery energy storage system will also be part of the energy hub being created at Kogan Creek, with CS Energy recently announcing plans to build a 100MW/200MWh battery at the site.

The solar-powered hydrogen facility, which is expected to produce 50 tons of green hydrogen per year, is expected to be operational before the end of 2023. CS Energy has already signed an off-take agreement with the Japanese company Sojitz Corporation for hydrogen green produced at the factory. .

IHI Engineering Australia, a subsidiary of IHI Corporation Japan, has been appointed to construct the Kogan Creek plant, with work due to begin on site in September this year.

Queensland Energy Minister Mick de de Brenni said the project is an opportunity for CS Energy to invest its territory in the hydrogen sector, with the state government supplying the utility with 28, $9 million to help fund the demonstration plant and an associated supply network.

“Green hydrogen is key to diversifying our energy sector, building on our long-term energy know-how in the Queensland region and attracting major international investment in job-creating heavy manufacturing. “, did he declare.

“Today’s announcement will contribute to the success of the Kogan Demonstration Plant and support Queensland’s ambitions to become a hydrogen and renewable energy superpower.

Artist’s impression of the Kogan Renewable hydrogen Demonstration plant. CS Energy Under the joint venture agreement, CS Energy will operate and own 75% of the shares of the plant, with Senex Energy owning the remaining 25%.

CS Energy CEO Andrew Bills said both companies recognize the huge potential of green hydrogen to contribute to a low-carbon future in Australia. CS Energy is delighted to welcome Senex Energy as a partner at this key stage of the project as we move into the construction phase later this year,” he said.

“There is a strong strategic alignment between CS Energy and Senex Energy around the opportunities that energy transformation will bring. Senex Energy’s experience in the gas sector will be invaluable during the demonstration and as we evaluate future opportunities to scale up renewable hydrogen production to commercial scale.

Senex Energy CEO Ian Davies said the company’s participation in the project underscores its commitment to providing reliable, affordable and sustainable energy.

“To ensure Queensland and Australia’s energy security and achieve net zero targets, we need all forms of energy working together. The natural gas sector is the ideal partner for the development of a renewable hydrogen industry and that is why we are investing in this project,” he said.

The Kogan Renewable Hydrogen Demonstration Plant is one of a host of Green Queensland Renewable Energy projects underway near Chinchilla in West Queensland, with the area becoming a key renewable energy hub in the state.

The area is home to the largest proposed solar farm in the state to date, with French renewable energy developer Neoen continuing work on its massive $600 million Western Downs green energy center that will include a 460-meter solar farm. MWp and a large 200 MW/400 MWh battery.

Singapore-based Vena Energy has also established itself in the region with its large 100MW/150MWh Wandoan South battery project nearing completion, while Spanish renewable energy developer X-Elio expects that its 200 MW Blue Grass solar farm developed just north of Chinchilla achieves full commercial operations early this year. year.

Source: This news was originally published by pv-magazine


Source link