The Victorian government scrapped its statewide HealthSMART IT project, citing a cost overrun of at least $ 140 million.
A spokeswoman for the office of Minister of Health David Davis said iTnews that funding for the project would end on June 30 of this year.
Four lead organizations – Eastern Health, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Austin Health and Peninsula Health – will continue to use HealthSMART, having adopted the system almost a year ago.
However, the other six health services that should have received the system will be able to make their own choices about the computer systems they need, according to a report by ABC News.
The ministerial spokeswoman said the government would also consider other arrangements and set up an expert group to inform them of the next steps.
The state government considered dropping HealthSMART as early as February 2011.
At the time, Age reported that “dozens” of key employees had been made redundant or would not have their contracts renewed.
A month earlier, the Victorian state branch of the Australian Medical Association (AMA) had urged the state government to stick with HealthSMART, commit to fund and reverse the ‘mess’ .
However, in November 2011, an ex officio investigation by Victorian Ombudsman George Brouwer into the deplorable state of some IT projects added yet another critical voice against HealthSMART.
The ombudsman expected the initial budget of $ 323 million for HealthSMART to explode to $ 566 million.
HealthSMART’s woes were compounded by a revelation from Brouwer that the project had no business case.
Until the end of February 2012, WADA publicly hoped that the project could still be saved.
“I have had discussions with the government and they know it will improve efficiency and safety and they want to institute it, they just have to find the money,” said the president of WADA. Victoria, Harry Hemley. Fairfax.
The project was to provide hospitals with a new system for clinical, patient and client management, resource management and image archiving.